Solar energy is fast becoming an important source of energy, not just for commercial uses but for many homeowners as well. Harnessing solar energy is a sustainable power source, providing excellent savings in utility bills while minimizing environmental impact. Solar panel roofing is becoming more popular among homes in Fresno and throughout California. Many factors affect how solar panels harness and generate power and proper solar panel cleaning optimizes their ability to do so.
Over a period of time, dust, grime, bird droppings and other pollutants can settle on solar panels, obstruct sunlight and contribute as much as 25% to 30% energy loss. There is also an increase in power generation used by the inverters increasing your utility bill. Depending on the area you live in, your solar panel cleaning may be required monthly, quarterly or semi-annually. While there are self-cleaning systems, they can become quite costly and these systems are not equipped to clean water deposits from rain, which build up on the panels. Here are some tips in maintaining your solar panels.
1. Inspect your solar panels at least once a month. Look for signs of wear, breaks and cracks that need to be addressed right away. Monitor your inverter display and keep a record of your solar panel’s performance. If the sun is constantly shining brightly and you’re still experiencing a dip in power supply or an increase in inverter power generation, it may be time for cleaning.
2. Different solar panels require different cleaning methods, some are more sensitive to chemicals, and some have fragile components. If cleaning the panels yourself, makes sure you refer back to your panel manual for proper care.
3. Remove overhanging tree branches and other obstructions that can block the sun and even pose a risk to your roofing.
4. If cleaning them yourself, remember to use soft, non-abrasive cloths, mild soap and water. A pool skimmer, with a soft cloth can be used to reach your panels high up on the roof. Running a shower of water from a hose may also work for some light dusting. DO most of your cleaning from the ground, never climb up on your roof. DIY cleaning is mostly recommended for smaller more manageable panels.
5. If you live in an area where there is a lot of dust, pollution or birds chances are your panels will need some serious cleaning that needs help from a professional. A professional solar panel cleaning company is equipped to efficiently clean a variety of panel sizes and types, using specialized cleaning equipment and solutions to maintain the integrity of your solar panels.
Central Valley Pressure Washing provides professional Solar Panel Cleaning for all residential and commercial locations in Fresno, California. Our trained professionals help maximize your solar power, generating energy savings that is more than enough the solar panel cleaning cost. We offer a monthly, quarterly and semi-annual cleaning packages for all types of solar panels.
Call us today at (559) 579-3806 and get a free quote on the most efficient cleaning schedule to suit your system. See our Solar Panel Cleaning page for more information.